Monday, October 24, 2016

Julius Ayo Artist Post 11

Turjoy Chowdhury






1.  Turjoy Chowdhurry's project titled "Flowers of City Slums" depicts the city of Dhaka, the capital of Bangladesh. All of the photos have this underexposed, gloomy atmosphere look to them. Most are taken handheld, while some look like they were taken with a tripod for the portraits of the different subjects. All are taken in landscape to get a better scope of the subject's environment.

1. Most of the photos are of children growing up in the impoverished city of Dhaka. They are all wearing colorful clothing that are highlighted by the artist which are then contrasted by the grayish, gloomy background. It symbolic of the project's title, "Flowers of City Slums." In a way, the children are the literal flowers budding in a stark and unforgiving future. In most pictures, you could the innocence and naivete of the children. They play around and smile for the camera as though, even for a moment, they were unaware of their situations. Their youth captured and preserved in these pictures as they venture to their unknown future.

1. I can relate to this completely. I grew up in the Philippines, a third world country. Although, I was not as unfortunate as these children growing up-- I always had food and clothes, even video games-- I do understand their situations. I have seen poverty first hand through my friends and neighbors. Although I have been in this environment, it is much different seeing it through the lenses of first world privilege. As children, they're probably not completely aware of what is going on in their lives. As beautiful as these images are, I can only hope that these children's future are a lot brighter than the lives captured here.

No comments:

Post a Comment